Working with school communities to support mental health and wellbeing
Open Minds (CAMHS) have a number of staff and projects that work with schools:
Mental Health Support Team
Northpoint provide the Calderdale Mental Health Support Team. This is a service that works directly in participating schools to provide direct clinical interventions as well as support to school staff to develop their whole school approach to mental health and wellbeing. The team provide training, advice and referral guidance to school staff and parents/carers.
Mental Health in Schools Link Project
The Open Minds (CAMHS) Schools Link Practitioner provides guidance and support to staff in primary and secondary schools in Calderdale. This can include training, consultation, case discussion and advice on potential referrals to Open Minds (CAMHS).
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Silvercloud – Open Minds (CAMHS) are able to provide access to free on-line support to young people and their parents/carers. The digital programmes are proven to work particularly well alongside school-based support. Further information and referral details here.
Transition Support Project
The Transition Support Project (TSP) is a partnership of local organisations (Noah’s Ark, Healthy Minds, Barnardo’s and Northpoint) which aims to support pupils in Y5 and Y6 manage the emotional impact of the transition to high school, as well as supporting school staff and parents/carers.
The project offers individual therapeutic interventions (Noah’s Ark), support around LGBTQ+ issues (Barnardo’s), general wellbeing support (Healthy Minds) and support to school staff and parents/carers (Northpoint Open Minds).
The Northpoint Open Minds (CAMHS) practitioner offers a range of support to schools including:
- Whole class workshops for Y5 and Y6 on anxiety – this covers what anxiety is, the signs/symptoms of anxiety, and some coping strategies for managing this.
- Whole class workshops for Y6 on transition – this covers preparing for transition, some common worries/fears and some coping strategies.
- Consultation, advice and guidance to school staff around individual pupils in Y5 and Y6.
- Staff workshop on anxiety and transition – this covers what anxiety is, the signs/symptoms, how to support pupils through transition.
- Parent/carer workshops on anxiety and transition – this covers what anxiety is, the signs/symptoms, how to support children through transition.
- 1:1 consultation and support for parents/carers around transition concerns.
Please email email@example.com for more information on any aspect of the project.
Training in Schools
Open Minds (CAMHS) also offers training to primary and secondary school staff and parents/carers on various mental health issues – these are often ‘twilight’ CPD sessions but, depending on the staff accessing the session, these can also be flexible to meet your school’s needs. The training packages currently available are as follows:
- Introduction to Mental Health – this covers what mental health is, how to recognise when a young person is struggling with their mental health, risk and protective factors and the support services available.
- Anxiety in Young People – this covers what anxiety is, the different types of anxiety, how it can affect us and how to support a young person with anxiety.
- Depression and Low Mood in Young People – this covers what depression is, risk and resilience factors, signs and symptoms and how to support a young person with depression.
- Young People who Self-Harm – this covers what self-harm is, risk and protective factors, forms of self-harm, discussion around motives and our own anxieties around self-harm
For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org